Thursday, August 11, 2011

First Time Blogging, be patient! (The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps)

Amazing skies and landscapes here.  I spent my first week in a village called Tsitsa trying to learn the language Sesotho.  So far I can only really greet people and answer a few question!  I am a little nervous because the school I am working at does not teach in English, they teach in Sesotho!

I have just moved into my house.  It is nicer than my village home, a new version of a rondavel.  Round with a thatch roof.  Still no water or bathroom inside and no electricity, but nice.  I have started to master the bucket bath, although it is a challenge on these cold winter mornings.  I have to get up very early to boil enough water and then switch the gas tank to the heater.  Everything just takes so much longer, but so far I am enjoying it.  It is easy to get up early since I am usually in bed around 8. The sun sets around 6:15 and there is only so much time you can spend reading by candlelight before you fall asleep.

 This was my house in the village.  The whole family 6 people slept in their little kitchen house and gave me their home.  So generous, I felt a little guilty but they insisted and they were able to get paid a little money.  They cooked for me and taught me how to live without water or electricity. Kea Leboha (thank you!)

Below is my new home for the next 10 months.  I have a great view and very nice neighbors.  Today I had to ask my neighbors to help me burn my trash, it is harder than you think and I didn't want to start a fire!  I had to burn plastic : (
My school has been very welcoming.  The students and staff are very friendly and I am excited to really start working more next week.  This week has been pretty laid back, they are trying to let me settle in.  I am impressed by the attitudes and the independence of the students, I think our schools could learn something from them.  More about school next time.

3 comments:

  1. So exciting to hear from you. Not teaching in English.....minor detail! This is sounding like quite the adventure. Keep the pics coming. We miss you Love from Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa!!!! We miss you terribly. Thanks for sending the pics - it helps you feel closer. So funny (not) that you can't speak English!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo
    Sue, Dan & Boys
    P.S. Dan survived his first camping experience. We all loved it and can't wait for you to come next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work getting this set up! Very happy to see pictures and hear about your adventures, post some inside your house soon!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete