Friday, December 9, 2011

Happy Holidays

M'e' Matiiso and Amy
This is Me Matiiso, she is a teacher at my school.  We took this picture because we thought it was funny that almost all of the dolls that they sell here look like this one.  Not only is the doll white with yellow hair, but it is also kind of funny that her name is Amy!  As you can see in the background of the picture there are some Christmas decorations here also.  There is definately not the same level of focus on presents and such here, but Christmas is the time of year that people choose to buy new clothes for their families and clean and repair their houses.  I have heard that all of the children go parading around town in their new clothes on Christmas day, I will be sad to miss it. I am hoping to spend Christmas with Carrie riding horses around Lesotho!   I guess we will see other kids in their new clothes, just not the ones that I know.
    School is quiet this week.  All students have now gone home, Seabata and I made it smoothly to his village and I really did enjoy seeing the southern part of Lesotho.  My supervisor and I still go to work each day and we are busy trying to get estimates from builders for a few more classrooms at out school.  We are also working on getting the money to pay for them.

Seabata having ice cream
 Otherwise I have been having a nice time hanging out with my host family a little more this week.  Yesterday we just sad in the yard together playing with the baby and playing some games with stones for a few hours at sunset.  It was really nice, although I still get frustrated that my host mother and I are really unable to talk to each other because of not knowing each other's language!  Why am I so bad at learning languages?
     Only two more days until Carrie comes to visit.  I am so excited to have a friend here to travel around with.  My blogs may take a break for a bit, but I will try to update after the holidays.  After Carrie leaves I will have my parents and sister here for another 2 weeks.  I am so happy that I have adventurous friends and family.  Can't wait to post some exciting new photos from new parts of Lesotho, Mozambique and South Africa.  Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time with Carrie. Wish I was there with you guys. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete