Tuesday, January 31, 2012

We want some Rain

Morning Therapy Group
   Coming back to my everyday life in Lesotho has been both challenging and good.  School is getting busier as we are really trying to start the school year off right with lots of productive teaching time. I have been spending my mornings team teaching with one teacher and my principal with another so that we can do some modeling of what we want to see happen in the classes.  It has actually been really fun to be teaching the students, but frustrating because of the language barrier.  At least our daily yoga and therapy sessions don't involve too much talking!  We are still missing a few students, basically the one's who are orphans and are staying with younger siblings.  They don't usually have a working phone, so we just have to wait.  Hopefully they will return this week, if not we might have to go get them.  The rest of the students seem very happy to be back among their friends.  I have been amazed at how easily they fall back into things and how well they help each other out.  Right now we only have 4 house parents (who are responsible for all at night) for 65 students, so they really do need to help.
Student with missing
wheelchair getting some help

    Last week I went with one of our students and his mother to Maseru for a dentist appointment.  The dentist that we saw in town referred us to the hospital in Maseru and with the referral he said that we could also get transport from the hospital.  At first I was very excited to avoid the usually public transportation woes, and then I found out that we would be riding in an ambulance.  Yes a real ambulance moving very fast, complete with siren, stretchers, nurse, etc. all for a dentist appointment.  We weren't alone, they packed around 10 people into the back, none needing emergency care.  Some did not even need any medical care, but just wanted to catch a ride.  While we were all sliding around the back I thought to myself that it was funny that I felt so unsafe and worried about accidents while riding in an ambulance.  Strange use of resources, but at least we got a free ride, we even stopped to do shopping on the way home!  I think the transportation adventure stories will never get old.
Yacoob and Mom in Ambulance
   Outside of school life has been pretty challenging.  I miss having visitors, showers, and yummy food.  It has been very hot here and still no rainy season to speak of.  All around the outside of  Lesotho there has been plenty of rain, even flooding, but we haven't gotten much in country.  I actually haven't had water in my area of town for over 4 days.  I had a lot stocked up in buckets, but now I am down to nothing.  I am going to to carry some home from school today and maybe make a trip to the river with my host sister, but I am not able to carry 20 Litres on my head like the women and girls here, maybe I can carry 10.  It is amazing how little water you actually need.  This may sound bad to the rest of you, but I actually bathed, cooked, did laundry and dishes over 4 days with less than 40 litres.  My clothes are a little soapy but clean.  At least I have water at work.
House father in sporting Red Sox
    One thing that makes me happy everyday is seeing Boston Redsox hats on the heads of our house fathers, my host father, and the school gardeners.  They were a gift from my sisters along with cool bags for the women.  The men all wear them religiously and it looks like they are part of their uniform.  Thanks, and more importantly right now GO PATS!
Hot sheep trying to find shade at my house
My neighborhood kids reading books from my nephews, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment