Thursday, March 22, 2012

Action

Girls playing Net Ball
   Last weekend I went to a rural village with for a youth group event.  One of the PC volunteers, Lauren, works with a youth group that recently got a donation.  With the money they received they had an event which included HIV testing, drama and sports.  They had a good turnout and they were able to offer some prize money to winning teams. Their drama focused on the importance of knowing your status.  Many people got tested and everyone had fun.  I had so much fun watching the sports.  The girls played net ball, kind of like basketball, but no dribbling and protected shooting once you are in a zone.  It is funny because I actually remember playing this game in gym class in high school, I never knew it was a real organized sport!  I was so impressed with the girls athletic ability and their sportsmanship.  Players are pretty aggressive when fighting for the ball and there is even some tackling, but nobody got angry or mean.  I think it is due to the peaceful culture here, people seem to rarely fight and they handle disagreements calmly.
    While the girls were busy with net ball, the boys and men stayed busy with their football tournament.  I was equally impressed with their skills, especially since they were playing in very high grass.  The tournament started out great with one whole team getting their HIV test to help to promote the testing.  It is quite a challenge to convince people to get tested, it seems even more true for young men, so this was a great help.
Footballers
  The youth group also used some of the money that was donated to get uniforms for their group.  This was good because it was easy to spot who was in charge and it made their drama and speaking stand out.  They were very proud and Lauren, the PCV who works with them, was so happy that they had such a successful day.
   I spent most of my time wandering around and taking pictures, such a beautiful setting.  I also talked with the youth group a little and tried to practice some of my Sesotho.  I had a really good day and felt inspired by the work that many of the youth and peace corps volunteers are doing here.  It is essential that HIV awareness becomes ingrained in the culture here, the rates are so high and the effects are alarming, life expectancy here is less than 40 years!
Lauren with youth group in their new uniforms
   This week I was also able to attend a forum on Autism.  When I first found out about it I was kind of disappointed that they did not ask me to participate, however I eventually understood that decision.  The presentation was all done in Sesotho, which I can't speak well enough, and it was given by parents of children with autism.  They did a great job and the large crowd that was there was fascinated by them.   I was surprised how much I was able to understand without a translator, I think it is because I know the subject matter so well.  After the presentation I met with the parents and let them know that I would be happy to facilitate further workshops with teachers or parents.  I am really hoping that they contact me because awareness of autism here is still very minimal and I would love to help increase it.  There is sometimes a belief here that children with autism and "strange" behaviors are possessed by demons.  This is extremely hurtful to families and leads to a lack of education.
   Finally, our school project is continuing smoothly.  We are still having a lot of small issues with the plumber, but we have accepted it!  I am really excited because I think everything will be done soon and that means that I will have some time to work with the teachers in the new classrooms before leaving.
Village kids posing for me

New classrooms, with windows and doors
 

1 comment: