Thursday, May 3, 2012

EFA

Swarming Students
Last week was the EFA, Education For All, week in Botha Bothe.  The schools in the town were asked to teach students about the importance of education for all.  On Friday the schools all got together at one of the primary school yards and there were performances of dramas and songs surronding the education for all theme.  When our students first arrived at the school we were swarmed with hundreds of young students chanting "education, education" while dancing around us.  It was really cool, I tried to put a video up, but it didn't work.  I am constantly amazed here when I see hundreds of children singing and moving in sync without much direction from their teachers.  They really made our students feel welcomed and gave a huge cheer after our students performed.  It was great to see our students included in some way with the general ed. schools.  Hopefully in the future we can get some of our kids actually in attendance at these schools, although with class sizes around 45 students, good inclusion is quite a challenge here.
My Principal and I at the football match
   I told my principal that one of the things I really wanted to do before leaving was to attend a good football match.  So last Saturday we went to Maseru to attend the Premiere League final match between Botha Bothe and Maseru Correctional Officers.  Unfortunately Botha Bothe, our team, lost.  I was surprised at how low key this premiere league championship game was.  I still want to try to go to a bigger match in South Africa if possible.  We went out to lunch at the mall and had a good day overall.  Thanks Me Mamonuku!
    We finally found a new plumber and he and his crew are basically starting from scratch.  Although it is frustrating that we have had to go over budget and wasted a lot of time, I feel so happy that it is now being done correctly.  He moved all of the pipes and geyser inside and their work looks neat and organized.  They should be done within a few days and we will have working plumbing that actually looks good and is leak free!  I can't wait to post some pictures, hopefully in my next blog.  Otherwise we are making plans for the opening of the new classrooms, now scheduled for May 23rd.  We are getting a tent and having many visitors and performances.  We are even inviting the prisoners, yes prisoners, to come and performs.  Apparently they are very talented.  This is going to be a much bigger event than I would have planned on my own, but I am happy that the school is so excited about it.
Football Match
My morning sky

No comments:

Post a Comment