Friday, November 18, 2011

Independence

Since getting here in august I have been a little bit worried about what happens when I run out of gas.  I like to be independent and without a car, the idea of bringing back my gas container and getting a new one seemed challenging.  Well this week I did run out and my supervisor, who does have a car, is out of town for the week.  I asked several people at work what I should do.  Their answers scared me a little.  For one I wasn't aware that there had been a strike at the gas company and for the last few weeks there was a shortage, this also caused the prices to go up.  Also one women told me to just carry my empty container to the main road and then catch a taxi to town.  My empty container, larger than the one in the picture, was not that light, and I am strong, but not as strong as the women here.  I finally decided on the last option which was to take my empty one in a wheel barrel to the closer shop, not that close, and exchange it.  BUT I had to first leave school early and go to that shop to make sure they had the gas, they did.  I had a friend help me because I was a little worried about navigating the wheel barrel on hills, sand, rocks.  We made it and now I know for next time that I can handle this challenge.  
Maolosi Leading Yoga

   This week has been very busy at school.  I tried to spend more time in the classrooms and I did some modeling for the teachers.  I was trying to teach money skills and how to use a calendar each day with the students.  Now I just hope and wait to see if the teachers will implement these things into their day.
   Yoga is going really well and now each morning a different student volunteers to lead the singing or chanting part at the end.  It started with one of my favorite students, Maolosi, he was just spontaneously chanting out names one morning.  He has autism and when I first met him in August he had very little language.  Now he has begun labeling all of the people around him and talking a lot more.  Even his family said they noticed a change in him when they saw him in October.  Unfortunately on Sunday Maolosi started having swelling in his head and face, extreme swelling.  They took him to the hospital on Monday and he has been there since, but nothing has changed and he seems to be in pain.  I am going to go visit him on Monday since we have to take another student to the hospital for an appointment, I will try to do some yoga with him and get some answers about what might be happening with him.  
   Other updates:  On a positive note MacDonald has been coming to school more often and his mother has been a great help with everyone during our daily therapy sessions.  I found an old stander that was used by another student and we adjusted it for MacD.  His mother was so excited to see him standing and she is going to try to have a carpenter make one for him at home.  We might try to tackle making ankle braces too (for when he is standing) but I am not sure I have enough expertise to do it right.  Any PTs want to come for a visit?  Another update, not so happy.  Maliso, the girl who joined us in October, was sent to an orphanage for a more permanent placement around 2 weeks ago.  This week we heard she is back in the hospital unable to walk and continuing to suffer from TB. 
MacD standing next to his Mom
   I have been spending a lot of time making comparisons between children with disabilities here and at home.  One thing that I have observed is that because of a lack of staff and just cultural differences, children with disabilities are left to do a lot more for themselves.  At our school there is no adult assigned to help with meals.  The children wash their own hands before (all in the same bucket, not so sanitary) and they carry their own plates and then they feed themselves.  Even the students who have physical limitations get help from other students.  Sometimes I have to stop myself from trying to help, because I want them to do a better job, or I want them to be a little more clean, but then I remind myself how great it is that they are independent and helping each other.  Yet another thing I will try to remember when I am teaching at home.
Eating Independently


Getting Friends To Help


   

2 comments:

  1. The "getting friends to help" picture is one of my favorites so far. I love reading your posts, a real highlight of any day. Love to you!! Xo EL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me Lisa. Love you!

    ReplyDelete