Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Just a random Peacock hanging out by the Post Office
Maolosi with Mom, better now.
  Well this is my second year in a row being out of the US for Thanksgiving.  Last year I was in India and now Africa.  Next year I promise to eat 3 years worth of food.  For now I am going to go to work, try to make some thanksgiving like food, skype with my family and remember everything that I am thankful for.
     At home I am thankful for good health care (it's all relative), friends  and family, electricity, indoor plumbing, special education laws, OTs, PTs, Speech therapists, the diversity of the US, Target (yes the store), and functional government (again relative, but it is actually functional).  I am also thankful that privacy is considered normal and that "you look fat" is not thought of as a compliment, I just can't get used to it!  I am thankful for being anonymous on the streets of NY, and for cheese, bagels, coffee shops, bookstores, and NPR.  I am thankful for growing up with the "Dold" work ethic, being able to go out after dark, having opportunities and education, teaching materials, museums, parties, etc.  I am very thankful for people who are so generous, mail, and packages and for volunteers.
Thanks for the art stuff Jess!
    In Lesotho I am thankful for friends, people who work for maybe $5 a day and still treat the children well.  I am thankful for beautiful singing that happens spontaneously, my yard full of kids, cooking from scratch, peace corps support, villages and my greetings full of smiles every morning.  I am also thankful of children who are so respectful and appreciative of school, huge thunder storms, lots of animals, people who always want to help, YOGA, people who are so happy without material possessions, babies on backs, blankets, baby donkeys (so cute) and beautiful mornings.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Notice the little guy eating packet of  drink mix in the back! I remember doing that with Koolaide
 

3 comments: