Thursday, February 16, 2012

Playing

car made out of cans and wire
I know that I have already mentioned how much I love seeing kids play here, but I think I need to do a whole blog on it.  Without video games, tv and even typical toys, play has a whole different meaning here.  There is no lack of playing, the kids are expected to help out with many chores and caring for animals, but they still have plenty of time for fun.  They get very creative and make toys out of any old thing they find.  There is also a ton of social and group playing going on without adults around (they are busy).  So the children really learn to work out conflicts, socialize and form friendships on their own.
  Each evening when I leave school I spend some time watching the students playing with each other without any teachers around.  Sometimes I get upset that there is not more supervision because the kids are dirty, missing clothes, fighting, etc.  But I have to remember that there are 65 students and only a few staff members after school.  Also the students are actually learning to be more independent and how to help each other out.   After getting over my concerns, I usually realize that they are really having fun and learning social skills.  Even with their severe disabilities, they are given some freedom to explore and invent whatever activity they can find to do.  They always get out of their wheelchairs and everyone gets dirty.  There is no such thing as being "overly protective" at our school.

playing after school
Once I get home from work I usually try to spend some time alone in my house, reading, writing, etc.  This never lasts too long as the sound of fun from outside is very contagious.  Maybe because I live there and I am "different" or maybe just because I have a big yard, whatever the reason I am not sure, but all of the action is always happening right outside of my door.  The group includes both boys and girls from the ages of 11 months to 15 years old.  Their games include playing football (soccer) with a ball made out of plastic bags,  playing freeze tag kind of game involving stacking large stones?, jax with rocks, making mud and throwing it (using water from old beer bottle), and acting out exciting football and wrestling matches.  The girls also sometimes jump rope and there are always a few who want to just sit around with me and watch the action.  I usually head in when it starts to get dark, but they can stay longer.  Without adults around (I don't count) they learn to solve their own problems and they watch out for each other.  They learn to be creative and inventive.  There is always some crying and small fighting, but it never lasts long.  Of course I wish that the children here had more toys, books, computers, etc., these are important for learning also, but for now they are doing pretty well with trash, rocks and their imaginations.
Students on Football field


so silly
Yes that is a beer bottle they are
using to get water for mud
Taking a break from the football game

No comments:

Post a Comment